News

What is Induction Lighting? A Simple Overview

14 July 2011

Induction lighting is similar to fluorescent lighting but is more energy-efficient and has a significantly longer operating life of up to 100,000 hours. Unlike fluorescent lights which contain toxic mercury vapour, Induction lights contain solid-state amalgam just like you’ll find in a dental filling. Amalgam is much easier to remove and recycle, and unlike mercury vapour, poses no health risk if the lamp should break.

An induction light consists of an electronic ballast and an electrodeless induction lamp. Energy generated by the electronic ballast is distributed through a wire coil wrapped around an electro-magnet, or ‘inductor’, on the outside of the induction lamp. The inductor produces a magnetic field which transmits energy through the glass and excites the mercury atoms inside the lamp, producing light. 

Induction Lighting

 

Induction lights are ‘electrodeless’ light sources. Fluorescent lights on the other hand, conduct energy to the light source through electrodes hard-wired to the inside of the lamp. The point in a fluorescent lamp where the electrodes enter the lamp chamber is effectively a point of weakness. Thermal stresses over time typically cause the integrity of the electrode seals to fail. This allows external gases to enter the inside of the lamp contaminating the interior. Induction lighting doesn’t have this point of weakness which is why it is has such a long operating life - up to 100,000 hours.

Induction lighting excels in high brightness applications such as high bay lighting, office lighting and street lighting. The long operating life means it’s virtually maintenance free and well suited to installation in areas that are difficult or costly to access.

For more information about our exciting range of Induction lighting products visit our Induction Lighting products section at http://www.lumenate.co.nz/products/8_InductionLighting